Built Academy RQ-7B UAV
A few weeks ago we presented a quick view of the sprues here. I have been working this model kit in between breaks from other builds. It is a simple kit and it was basically finished in a few hours. The kit a very nice representation of the RQ-7B UAV. 2 figures are included and although these are not perfect, they aren’t that bad either. Legs are separate parts and the torsos are comprised of 2 halves which will need some minor trimming to get rid of a join line.
1/35 Academy RQ-7B UAV
The overall fit of the main subject (the UAV) is excellent. Academy provides markings for 3 unknown units all from Irak. 2 of those unknown units are from 2011 and one from 2008. The next marking option is from the Special Troops Battalion, 1 Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, Korea, 2001.
A word of caution: Academy calls for Dark Ghost Gray FS-36320 as the base color. This color proved to be too dark for this subject. After noticing this, I chose to repaint with FS-36495 Acryl Light Gray. The camouflage marks were painted with a fine mist of Light Ghost Gray FS-36375. The engine parts are painted with Alclad 2 Duraluminum and Burnt Iron.
A 4”x4” base is provided should you decided to display it as a stand alone desk model. I’m not really convinced at the way the model meets its base. There is no hole, prong or notch to hitch too. Unless one comes with an idea, one will have to glue the model to the base.
Decals on the figures:
the dreaded camouflage uniform decals. Well, they are mixed feelings towards these method which is understandable. Most of the folks complaining are doing so mostly on time consumed by this, not to mention the detail lost in the process. Well, let me tell you. It is time consuming, but I did enjoyed it and learned a few things. If you want to save time on this, at least by 50%, you’ll have to use a hot decal solution like that from Walters. Microsol will do its job, but it will take longer.
Cut strips of around 1/4” x 1” long and start wrapping the figures by sections. I started from the legs up. With a dry paper towel, squeeze the decals against the figure. Now, don’t be shy with the decal solution -a trick I did learned by accident-.
If you have a heat source like a furnace vent, it will help the decal solution do its job way faster. After noticing this, I brought to my studio a portable heater and laid my figures with every new layer of decals. It took about an hour to have my uniforms on. Decal solution plus heat, means a faster shrinkage.
Now, if you use the tip of a fresh #11 blade and poke tiny holes on the bubbles, also, cut around prominent features like pockets and folds, you wont loose as much detail as some reviewers have said. The decals DO work, they just need a little hand from us.
In all, this is a very nice kit, either as a stand alone display for your desk or to give more context to a modern diorama. I did enjoyed this build a lot. If you like modern era weaponry and UAV vehicles, the Academy U.S. ARMY RQ-7B UAV @ at MSRP of $23 USD is for you.